Saturday, April 23, 2011

To e or not to e, that is the question.

I am one of those people who resisted e-readers.  Kindles, Nooks, i-Pads, whatever. . .I was in the camp of those who love to hold a real book, to smell it, to be in a library and be part of that whole book experience.  I kind of thought e-readers were encroaching on my world.  I got a Nook for Christmas last year and it took me till April to take it out of its box.

Okay.  So, I can also eat my words faster than Ms. Pacman can gobble up a string of white dots.  I opened up the Nook and started downloading books almost immediately.  I went out and bought myself a Kindle to compare and downloaded some books on it, too.  I thought about getting an i-Pad but they were out of my price range.  (Besides, my daughter has an i-Pad and it's in color so her nearly four-year-old daughter, Sydney, loves the interactive books with color and sound and song, so I get what it's about.  I wanted to rip it from Sydney's hands and try it out, but she was resistant.  I do think old age and treachery can win out over youth and inexperience though, so I'm saving the "Hand it over or it's early bedtime" for another time.)

Anyway, I've compared the Kindle and the Nook.  They're really just personal preference, as far as I can tell.  I'm leaning toward the Kindle at the moment, but I struggle with the fact that it's not a touch screen.  It warned me it wasn't, but I'm apparently a slow learner; the Nook has an extra tiny screen at the bottom that is a touch screen and shows the covers in color, a feature the Kindle doesn't have.  But my Kindle's sleeker and lighter than the Nook which is what I'm going for at the moment.  I'm still struggling with the touch screen thing, though.  I suppose it's because my phone and my ATM both have touch screens and it just seems like it oughtta work that way.  Not that I can work my phone any better, or that the ATM gives me what I want for other reasons.

I just downloaded Lisa Jackson's WILD AND WICKED because it was $2.99 and a bargain!  It's a medieval romance and one of hers that I haven't read yet.  Can't wait.  I might really be getting into this e-book thing.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy- I was in the same boat as you and didn't know if I wanted an e- reader. But I got a kindle for Xmas and it is amazing - now I can't go back. You should take the plunge. I reviewed my kindle on youtube- here is the link if you want to hear my pros and cons:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFtlgzuXh8

    So happy to see you on blogger! Can't wait for your next book. Love to Kelly and the fam Jennifer (Evans) Scott xx

    ReplyDelete